How ISO/IEC 27701 Can Enhance PIMS at Your Organization
The arrival of the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) has made huge changes to privacy and compliance regulations worldwide. To best reconcile regulatory requirements including GDPR, organizations resort to a PIMS based on ISO/IEC 27701.
What is a PIMS?
Privacy Information Management Systems (PIMS) are Information Security Management Systems which ensure the protection of privacy when personally identifiable information is processed.
Also known as personal data stores, PIMS allow users to control their personal data and manage their online identity. Therefore, they ensure users can access their individual data while organizations can keep up with the obligation to keep data up to date and accurate.
PIMS and Data Protection Regulations
One of the reasons organizations have embraced PIMS is to comply with GDPR and other data protection regulations. The system allows them to achieve the technical and organization measures required to protect the personal data they process.
These systems are implemented, maintained, and improved using the ISO/IEC 27701 Privacy Information Management System standard.
Published in 2019, the standard is based on the requirements, control objectives, and controls in ISO/IEC 27001. ISO 27001 is the international standard for an information security management system (ISMS) which can be used to reduce the risk of breach. ISO 27701 also includes privacy-specific requirements.
Business Benefits of PIMS
In addition to complying with data protection regulations, organizations can benefit from PIMS in several ways including:
- Added trust in the organization’s ability to manage personal information
- Fewer breaches through improved internal competence and processes
- Enhanced transparency on controls for privacy management
- Agreement on processing personally identifiable information with business partners
- Integration with ISO/IEC 27001
As a result of these benefits, organizations will be able to maintain customer and employee satisfaction, protect their reputation, and support continuous improvement. And these are some of the factors which help in adding to their bottom line.
Becoming ISO/IEC 27701 Certified
While it’s great to have your organization be certified to ISO 27701, becoming a certified professional will fuel your career growth.
You’ll become a valuable asset at your company due to your understanding of PIMS implementation and ability to deliver the system’s benefits. This means more opportunities within your organization and industry as a whole.
There are three certificates you can go for to prove your proficiency in implementing, maintaining, and improving a PIMS.
Before these, however, you can always enroll in ISO/IEC 27001 Introduction to gain a basic understanding of information security and PIMS.
1) ISO/IEC 27701 Foundation
The ISO/IEC 27701 Foundation course helps candidates to learn about the basics of ISO 27701. It also covers the principles of PIMS in compliance with ISO/IEC 27701.
As a Foundation certified professional, you’ll have knowledge and skills related to the:
- ISO/IEC 27701 structure (including the requirements, guidance, and controls of the standard)
- Security and protection of the privacy of personally identifiable information
- Principals and the relationship of ISO/IEC 27701 with ISO/IEC 27001 and ISO/IEC 27002
- Basic concepts of a PIMS based on ISO/IEC 27701
- Approaches, standards, methods, and techniques required to implement and manage a PIMS
Wondering if the Foundation certificate is for you? ISO recommends this certification for professionals –
- Learning about Information security and privacy management
- Starting a career in privacy information management system PIMS
- Working with the information security team members
- Handling personally identifiable information
2) ISO/IEC 27701 Lead Implementer
The ISO/IEC 27701 Lead Implementer credential is a great certification for professionals who wish to prove their skill and knowledge on establishing, implementing, and maintaining a PIMS by enhancing an existing ISMS based on ISO 27001 and 27002.
Just training for the certification will help you learn –
- Applicable knowledge of PIMS based on ISO/IEC 27701 and its principal processes
- How to interpret the requirements of ISO/IEC 27701 in the specific context of an organization
- Effective management and implementation of a PIMS
- Concepts, approaches, methods, and techniques discussed in the standard
- Relationship between ISO 27701, ISO/IEC 27001, ISO/IEC 27002 and other standards and regulatory frameworks
- How to support an organization in effectively planning, implementing, managing, monitoring and maintaining a PIMS
ISO recommends this credential for professionals interested in:
- Implementing Information security and privacy management
- Implementing PIMS or associated with its implementation
- Managing personally identifiable information
- Maintaining conformance with data privacy regimes requirements
3) ISO/IEC 27701 Lead Auditor
ISO 27701 Lead Auditor is the credential to pursue if you wish to prove your ability to perform PIMS audit. The certificate further testifies to your skills to plan and carry out audits in compliance with ISO 19011 and ISO/IEC 17021-1 certification process.
Just training for this certificate will help you –
- Learn about the relationship between ISO/IEC 27701, ISO/IEC 27001, ISO/IEC 27002, and other standards and regulatory frameworks
- Gain competency in planning and leading
- Understand PIMS and its processes based on ISO/IEC 27701
- Follow up on a management system audit in accordance with ISO 19011
- Learn to interpret the requirements of ISO/IEC 27701 in the context of a PIMS audit
The ISO/IEC 27701 Lead Auditor certificate and training will benefit professionals involved in:
- PIMS audit process
- Maintaining conformance with PIMS requirements
- Protection of personally identifiable information
Get Certified in ISO 27701 to Bring PIMS to Your Organization
LearningCert can help you gain the skills and knowledge required to create, implement, maintain, and continually improve a PIMS at your organization. In addition to accredited trainers and courseware, we offer guarantees that’ll make your learning experience a memorable one.
So, enroll today and let us help you become ISO 27701 certified.